the flooring saga part 2.

After living with the tiles for 5 months, I was ready to see them go.  We picked up a handy tile scraper at Home Depot and got to work.  The tiles came up pretty quickly once you got a section started.

Pulling up Tiles

We didn’t worry too much about the glue residue (the black stuff).  While we could have purchased chemicals to remove all this, our research found that it wasn’t really necessary unless you were planning on adhering something directly to the subfloor.  Since this is a floating floor, we just left it behind and rolled out the underlayment.

Pulling up Tiles

Our next step was to decide which way to lay the tiles.  We laid out a few rows of tiles (not clicked together) to get a sense of how the flooring would look.  We ended up choosing the direction that made the project way tougher.  We ran the tiles parallel to the back wall, which meant we started under the heating system, which meant we didn’t have a flat surface to work against.  We had to be extra careful with the first few rows to make sure the flooring didn’t slide and stayed straight.  As you can see in the picture, the spacers didn’t help much since they were unable to lay flat against a wall.

Putting down the Floor

Because the tiles are so large (almost 1′ x 2′ each) the flooring went down very quickly.  Watch a few videos demonstrations online and you’ll have no trouble if you’re trying to do it yourself.

New Floors

Our cuts were pretty straightforward until we got to the closet area.  That’s when we started having to get way more precise and do some creative tile cutting.  Not going to lie, I got a little nervous when Rich started cutting into some of the molding, but it all worked out fine.

Precision Work

Over one weekend, we were able to get all the flooring down in both bedrooms.  We still have the hallway (and a billion transitions) to figure out.  We weren’t able to get a lot done last weekend as we were digging out from the blizzard.

We’re also at a bit of a standstill due to some issues with the quarter round.  We ordered the quarter round that was mean to coordinate with our flooring – it wasn’t the exact same, it was a wood tone.  Well, we got white laminate quarter round.  So I called Home Depot and had them send a replacement order, but we got the exact same thing.  Now I’m waiting to hear from the resolution department since the product we’re receiving does not match what is shown on the website.  We’re getting pretty frustrated since we could have had the two bedrooms completely finished and back to normal by now.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in the house and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to the flooring saga part 2.

  1. Asia @ Cape Cod Dreams says:

    It looks like you have made really good progress! Great job. It really looks wonderful so far.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s